NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Ethnic clashes in Sri Lanka escalate
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Capt Koch

Work lives

So, most - if not everyone - here has some sort of job. I'm just curious - what do you currently do, and what do you wish you were doing? I came across this thought recently when thinking about my career, just curious what others think.

Myself:

I'm an IT tech, work with all sorts of stuff from hardware to software, wiring in datacenters and the likes. Way out of my league a lot of the time, so most of my time is spent reading up. I enjoy the job, but there's another job I've always wanted (and tried to pursue):

ATC. I applied for a position at Maastricht here in Europe, which is Upper Area Control. However, and as I expected, I got denied due to being color blind. Perfectly fair, but I thought I will never get the position if I don't try. So, I can't get the job I want the most in life, sadly, purely because of genes. 

So, tl;dr: Just curious what people here do and what they'd like to do instead, if anything different!

I currently work at Carl’s Jr. I get to work stupid hours that constantly change and serve people who think I’m just another entitled millennial. Yay me. 

What I want to be doing is something in Law Enforcment. I’m hoping to start my career in Law Enforcement soon. Next time a position opens up in my County Jail, I’m gonna go and apply to be a Corrections Officer. And from there hopefully become a Patrol Officer and ultimately work for my local Police Department. 

• Like 1

I worked as a bouncer and private security for awhile at a few different places, was easy work, just usually long hours and dealing with dickheads. I also worked at a warehouse for about 7 months, and that was fucking terrible.

I've always wanted an intel analyst job somewhere at DHS or similar agency, but I'd need to go back to school, which I don't really have the money for currently.

• Like 1

Data Analytics Consultant. I basically drag pharmaceutical companies kicking and screaming into the 21st century and help them migrate to a cloud based, digital platform that involves a ton of SQL and web-dev geared around QA/QC. If you take any ibuprofen in the next year-or-so chances are I will have had a hand in ensuring that it is compliant with any and all FDA regulations.you have been warned.

• Like 2

I used to work as a armored car guard, unloading and loading ATM machines and servicing banks. Not hard work but the pay was not great for how dangerous the job was. Now I work as an armed receptionist, watching cameras, answering phones, browsing FB and youtube for several $ more per hour, meh cant complain...

My next step is getting a security clearance so I can get a job at a federal facility making almost double what i make now.

• Like 2

I work in produce at a grocery store and teach a high school drumline. I love both jobs; they're easy and fun but don't make even close to enough money to survive. I'm currently studying on my own time to get some certifications (A+, Network+, CCNA) and hopefully by the end of the year I'll have an entry-level IT job.

What I really want to do is be a forward observer (13F) in the Army. I already tried to go this route, but I was denied the job when I went through MEPS because of my colorblindness (recruiter lied to me, said that they updated the requirements for the job). Still salty to this day.

• Like 2

My title is "Checkpoint Supervisor" and I basically run a park/beach that is on a small island off the city I work for. Among the staff, I'm the pointman for all security/safety related issues. We have lifeguards and a water taxi each with their own protocols, but I'm coordinating those to make sure we have an effective emergency response. But mostly, I drive a golf cart and yell at people.

This winter I'm hoping to work as a Public Safety Officer at a local university, and hopefully use that as a springboard to finish my degree and maybe get a job or law enforcement or wing it from there at least.

• Like 1

Working at Chick-Fil-A making bugger all and probably quitting that soon™

Also have a job as a Martial Arts Instructor as well as a job as a Videographer, doing primarily weddings and such. Enjoying those two but, depending on what I can squeeze out regarding pay, we will see if I stick around or whatnot. Time management being my primary concern atm... (#SorryCS #SorryS-Shops) Will get more time soon I hope!

Less realistically, as far as what I'd like to be doing, I love tricking, freerunning, flips and that kind of lunacy. So getting a career that deals in that area would be fantastic. The martial arts thing is somewhat along those lines but not quite what I'd want exactly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Capt Marsden said:

I work in produce at a grocery store and teach a high school drumline. I love both jobs; they're easy and fun but don't make even close to enough money to survive. I'm currently studying on my own time to get some certifications (A+, Network+, CCNA) and hopefully by the end of the year I'll have an entry-level IT job.

What I really want to do is be a forward observer (13F) in the Army. I already tried to go this route, but I was denied the job when I went through MEPS because of my colorblindness (recruiter lied to me, said that they updated the requirements for the job). Still salty to this day.

CCNA is tough, I have the books sitting on my desk at the office. Good luck! As for color blindness, I know that feel.

I am currently a Operational Research Adviser For the Northern Territories Of Canada and the U.S. I work with the DHS,ICE and sometimes I work under the DoD depending on the Event/Day. Yes I have a TS/SCI clearance. No I wont tell you exactly what I do. And yes I will kill you if you find out. just  kidding but seriously though 

I also Own 3 Business that my father left me that my wife, Nephew and Brother Manage 

I am a previous Asst. District Fire Coordinator of 5 departments (Related to Asst. Battalion chief but for VOL fire Companies)

I am still a Vol Firefighter/A-EMT 

I currently have my PsyD with a minor in Forensic Psychology. No specter i wont buy you a Mitsubishi 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm a chemical engineer, with master degree in renewable energy and posgraduate in finance, Use to work in multinational companies in project managment. Currently in Malaysia for a master degree.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SSgt (Ret) Hito said:

I'm a chemical engineer, with master degree in renewable energy and posgraduate in finance, Use to work in multinational companies in project managment. Currently in Malaysia for a master degree.

Malaysia is a pretty country, visited it briefly while I lived in Singapore. Dope degree!

Finishing my degree in History and Philosophy. To pay the bills I've worked in a warehouse, but had to give that up due to a knee injury (some idiot tackled my legs during rugby). Worked in a call center after that and felt miserable doing that job so I gave it up. Right now trying out freelance work by mostly doing translations (german, english, french). You know put those language skills to use, but that's barely keeping the bills payed so far, so definetly looking for something more permanent.

As far as what I really want to be doing is fly a rescue helicopter for REGA, but I was denied due to poor eyesight.

Edited by 1stLt Waller
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, 1stLt Waller said:

Finishing my degree in History and Philosophy. To pay the bills I've worked in a warehouse, but had to give that up due to a knee injury (some idiot tackled my legs during rugby). Worked in a call center after that and felt miserable doing that job so I gave it up. Right now trying out freelance work by mostly doing translations (german, english, french). You know put those language skills to use, but that's barely keeping the bills payed so far, so definetly looking for something more permanent.

As far as what I really want to be doing is fly a rescue helicopter for REGA, but I was denied due to poor eyesight.

Can vouch for call center jobs being miserable, worked in one for 3 years. Hopefully you find something soon!

11 hours ago, Capt Marsden said:

I'm starting my new job soon in IT, And am currently studying my CompTIA A+. 

I've worked in Retail for 3 years and have finally managed to get my start to a career in something I'm somewhat passionate about. 

Interesting thread. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I work for a gourmet beverage company that supplies coffee shops and other businesses all over the country. I'm currently in charge of shipping and freight and my job consists of loading and unloading trucks, delivering products, IT work and even graphic design. 

The work isn't exotic but I have a huge respect for the owners which keeps me around. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Maj (Ret) Whitby said:

I'm starting my new job soon in IT, And am currently studying my CompTIA A+. 

I've worked in Retail for 3 years and have finally managed to get my start to a career in something I'm somewhat passionate about. 

Interesting thread. 

Congrats Whitby, hope it goes well!

• Upvote 1

I'm the technical lead for desktop IT support at a hospital. I basically do everything, including things that are not in my job description, such as: kick off and implement projects, provide direct support to local and visiting VIPs, routine support ticket work, assist the network/server administrator to identify the purpose and functionality of servers (yes...), maintain the site inventory, perform annual software and hardware audits, complete annual risk assessments, etc etc.

I should really have a managerial title and pay, but because individual sites don't get departmental IT managers, I get screwed.

I'm actively looking for a new job, preferably managerial. Departmental manager, project manager, that kind of thing. You guys posting above or below this who are excited to get into IT, beware. Find a really good workplace or prepare to hate your life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, HMCS (FMF) Bernal said:

I'm in the Navy... I do Navy things....

This is honestly the response I expected from you, I was not disappointed!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maj (Ret) Whitby said:

Congrats! Glad you made it there!

• Like 2

Currently working insane hours as a maintenance technician at a hotel, which explains why I haven't been around for a while. Before that I worked as a rampie at my airport. Going back to school for system and network administration. 

• Like 1