NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Ethnic clashes in Sri Lanka escalate
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Capt Koch

Work lives

I pay nearly all my bills by drumming. I play at local venues with my 'band' and others, and occasionally teach at my former high school. Currently in community college getting through my pre-reqs, and once I'm done with that I'll be going off to a CSU or UC for CS. 

Although I am probably going to take up a job in retail so I'm not as broke.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Currently I am a forklift operator (and a apart of a management training program) at Costco. I got hired on there out of high school and never bothered going to post-secondary afterwards because the pay was too good. The people are great and the work is fulfilling. I couldn't ask for a better group of coworkers. The only thing that really grinds my gears is some of the shitty people that shop there. For a young guy like me Costco has been willing to support me if I want to go away to school or the military.

Actually in my grad year of high school I applied to the Coast Guard College and got in! I was so pumped because they were going to pay me $60,000 over 4 years to get a degree and work for them. Not too many people can say that. Consequently after my first 5 days (at the college) my medical exam results returned and (obviously) showed I am mostly blind in one eye. I've known this for quite sometime, however when I asked any of the advisers they said I should be fine. I was sent home, albeit I tried to appeal it legally for a couple years to no avail. Still to this day no one can surely tell me why the government allows me to drive a car without restrictions, and operate a forklift but not pursue the career I want. It all comes down to genes I guess. The condition I was born with is called "Optic-nerve hypoplasia".

I may move up to management at some point if I decide to stay with Costco, but I'm only 21 so I still have quite a few other possibilities.

Edited by LCpl Carter
  • Like 3

Sucks about the eyesight, got pretty rough eyesight myself. Hope you get to tr yout management though!

2 hours ago, LCpl Carter said:

Still to this day no one can surely tell me why the government allows me to drive a car without restrictions, and operate a forklift but not pursue the career I want. 

Know how that feels. Good to hear you've found a great place though!

Edited by 1stLt Waller
  • Like 1

Hi All...Gambie calling

I work for an American contact lens manufacturing company based in the U.K. I manage a team of multi-skilled engineers that provide service and support to production equipment. 12 hr night shifts, four nights on/ four nights off.

what I would like to do is work for an American contact lens manufacturing company based in the U.S.  Manage a team of multi-skilled engineers that provide service and support to production equipment. 8 hr days, five days a week. So that I could have time to play Arma with you guys ;) 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LCpl Gambie said:

Hi All...Gambie calling

I work for an American contact lens manufacturing company based in the U.K. I manage a team of multi-skilled engineers that provide service and support to production equipment. 12 hr night shifts, four nights on/ four nights off.

what I would like to do is work for an American contact lens manufacturing company based in the U.S.  Manage a team of multi-skilled engineers that provide service and support to production equipment. 8 hr days, five days a week. So that I could have time to play Arma with you guys ;) 

Gambie <3

• Like 1

I work for Village Road Show in their theme park endeavour in Australia. My official title is Attractions Presenter, but internally I'm a ride operator. The primary ride I'm based at is called Arkham Asylum, which in the last couple of months we brought out virtual reality headsets that you can wear during the ride, and I was apart of the team that set up the operating procedures for this new attraction. Every now and then they'll make me fill in as the costume character Joker, which I do enjoy doing but the outfit is an absolute piece of shit in Australian weather.

I've applied to the Australian Defence Force as a telecommunications technician, but the wait list for an opening can take up to two years, so sadly you'll have to put up with me until then.

• Like 3

I currently work at Publix, a grocery store in Florida.

I am currently working on getting into shape (29 out of 55 pounds done!) and am currently working on dropping a 153A(Main Rotor Aviation) packet into the Army here in March.

Been working with a recruiter for the last two months(29lbs in about 6 weeks, though I'm sure its mostly water weight :l ) and have my packet damn near done already.

But until I get into the army, I work as a grocery boy part time and the boxing gym full time :P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LCpl Pepperman said:

I am currently working on getting into shape (29 out of 55 pounds done!) and am currently working on dropping a 153A(Main Rotor Aviation) packet into the Army here in March.

Been working with a recruiter for the last two months(29lbs in about 6 weeks, though I'm sure its mostly water weight :l ) and have my packet damn near done already.

But until I get into the army, I work as a grocery boy part time and the boxing gym full time :P

Good luck, man! Hope it goes well :)

I work as the Assistant Department Manager for a Small Gas Station located in the parking lot of a Regional Midwest grocery store chain that is based out of Iowa. Basically I run the day to day operations when the Department Manager is gone on vacation (like this week) or has the day off. Ultimately I dont directly supervise anyone during my shifts since its literally just a booth with two registers, a pop cooler and some snacks, lottery / scratch offs, and cigarettes so there is only one person on shift at a time. I also do all the ordering, paperwork, and etc that only the manager would otherwise complete. I also wake up fuck-off early in the morning (5 to be to work by 5:30 since I live less then a mile away), so if you see me on teamspeak at 6.A.M thats probably why. I'm considering transferring to a larger full sized station with the same company about 30 minutes away, but they dont have any management positions open and I would basically be loosing responsibility and moving down instead.

Ideally I would love to work in the Natural Resource field (Park Ranger, Wildlife Management, Forestry, etc). I do have my two year degree in the field, but have just been unable to find any positions that will take me. A lot of the problem is I'm pretty sure im being beaten out by people with four year degrees and more experience then me, but I keep looking to try to find something. Its pretty ideal because in my spare time I love being outside, camping, hiking, rock climbing, and photography, among other things. I've also considered being a Wildland Firefighter (I am actually certified by my degree, but it lapsed since I didnt get around to taking my refresher this year) but I need to get in a lot better shape before I consider that. My dream would be to get my license and work as a Helicopter or Tanker Pilot on Wildfires to combine my love of Aviation with the benefits of my degree.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, LCpl Pepperman said:

Publix is more than a grocery store, it's a haven. There's nothing like it in the US.

I work as a Skin Patroller for a Ski Resort in the Sierra Nevadas. It’s a pretty cool job. I get fresh tracks and free food.  I also get discounts on skis and get to cut the lift lines. 

It’s an all around nice job. 

Edited by Sgt Cooper
Elaborate more
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't have a job yet, but i'm searching around to get some cash in my pocket.I am also currently obtaining my degree in Cybersecurity with a minor in Business Economics. I will be trying to get an internship with Northrop Grumman or Lockhead Martin in the near future to help develop and improve drone UI or program test flight simulations for pilots flying fighters, bombers, helicopters and etc. After my internship, hopefully, I will be contracted to actually be able to develop programs for the military since I am unable to join myself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LCpl Buono said:

I don't have a job yet, but i'm searching around to get some cash in my pocket.I am also currently obtaining my degree in Cybersecurity with a minor in Business Economics. I will be trying to get an internship with Northrop Grumman or Lockhead Martin in the near future to help develop and improve drone UI or program test flight simulations for pilots flying fighters, bombers, helicopters and etc. After my internship, hopefully, I will be contracted to actually be able to develop programs for the military since I am unable to join myself. 

Good luck with the degree, cybersec is hell

• Upvote 2

Currently I am the Offensive Coordinator for a high school football team, During the off season/school year I work as basically a dean or "redirection" person during the school day. Pretty easy job, just sit in my room all day and do jack shit and go on the forums on my work desktop. Only sometimes I have to deal with shithead kids. Some are still assholes even I am trying to be chill, but what can you do. Our head coach also just got hired to coach the Chicago Bears, so it is possible I could get that position. I am also currently enlisted in the Army as an 11B with an airborne extension, with a ship date set for late April.

I’ve always had a passion for flight, my plan was to serve in the military and do college after, then apply to fly for a commercial airline like Delta, I am currently considering pulling my 11B contract before I ship out and possibly flying in the military instead, either Air Force Fixed Pilot, TACP or Army 153A. I just wanna fly a damn A-10

Edited by LCpl DelPercio
  • Like 1

Still working as an HVAC Technician here in Texas. Took a pay cut to work closer to home, and regularly working from 0830 to 2030 really puts hours on the table. I enjoy the technical diversity of my work. I did have to attend a tech school up in Dallas to do so where I lived out of a roach motel for a short while, and I'd like to move myself and CTL to Colorado or north Texas when she gets to graduation. I'm living small till then, but my day to day could be literally anything. I don't necessarily like installing full systems. It really is mindless work. My favorite thing to do is to diagnose broken systems and get them working again. Really is fun when you can guess the problem over the phone given a few basic symptoms. I also spend about half my day in my truck, getting paid for travel.

• Like 1

Currently 2 years into getting my Bachelors degree in Computer Science and Game Design so I'm good at math and draw stuff. Hopefully I can get a job as a Level Designer somewhere, I just applied for an internship at Rocksteady for next summer but we'll see how that goes if not Raven (they make CoD multiplayer) is like an hour away and heavily recruit from my school, they're always looking for  slaves ... interns. But hey, I get to go to E3 next year so if anything when I'm homeless I can say I had a game there.

I work at an Amazon warehouse over the summer to build up cash for ramen and stuff while I'm away at school.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2ndLt Kardnal said:

Still working as an HVAC Technician here in Texas. Took a pay cut to work closer to home, and regularly working from 0830 to 2030 really puts hours on the table. I enjoy the technical diversity of my work. I did have to attend a tech school up in Dallas to do so where I lived out of a roach motel for a short while, and I'd like to move myself and CTL to Colorado or north Texas when she gets to graduation. I'm living small till then, but my day to day could be literally anything. I don't necessarily like installing full systems. It really is mindless work. My favorite thing to do is to diagnose broken systems and get them working again. Really is fun when you can guess the problem over the phone given a few basic symptoms. I also spend about half my day in my truck, getting paid for travel.

I have huge respect for HVAC techs after what I've seen them do at some of the facilities we use at work - just know that almost everyone in IT loves HVAC techs!

3 minutes ago, HM3 Chase said:

Currently 2 years into getting my Bachelors degree in Computer Science and Game Design so I'm good at math and draw stuff. Hopefully I can get a job as a Level Designer somewhere, I just applied for an internship at Rocksteady for next summer but we'll see how that goes if not Raven (they make CoD multiplayer) is like an hour away and heavily recruit from my school, they're always looking for  slaves ... interns. But hey, I get to go to E3 next year so if anything when I'm homeless I can say I had a game there.

I work at an Amazon warehouse over the summer to build up cash for ramen and stuff while I'm away at school.

Good luck with your studies, hope it all goes well! And I hope the warehouse doesn't ruin too much of your life, I've heard some horror stories about their warehouses.

• Like 1

Just as a follow up,

Still in school for Homeland Security with a focus on Counter Terrorism. I stopped working at the liquor store, mostly because they never gave me a schedule for this month, but it's fine because my real passion, lacrosse, is starting back up. I'm still coaching at the high school I graduated from.

• Like 1