NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Ethnic clashes in Sri Lanka escalate
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sign in to follow this  
Capt (Ret) Kardnal

Why we Play

Caught this on a refresh, but:

Why? Because I like playing in a roleplay-esque environment and this definitely suits that. I especially like the idea of playing a "new" campaign every once in a while and it gives me something to look forward to when I have nothing else to look forward to.

Why Arma? Frankie definitely got my into Arma/DayZ and when I first started playing it I knew it was a game I'd enjoy. Unfortunately, I'm not that big a fan of the actual multiplayer and milsim is just better for me.

Why the 3d? Cole and Koch, honestly. Familiarity with old friends and then the welcoming and social environment of a community is something that I've always enjoyed. I think the initial interactions I had with Red and Whelan and then playing other games with the other members really sealed the deal for me.

• Like 1

I play mil-sim because I find the concept fun, if not always the execution. Lots of FPS games result in people messing around and maybe not taking things seriously, or in having fun at other people's expense. Mil-sim can provide a nice team-based game where people pay attention and play together.

Arma, because to my knowledge it's the best simulator for this, especially with the modding community. There are other games, but this is is flexible (thought it does not run real well).

3RD MRB, because one day I watched Generation Kill and was like "I wonder if there is an Arma unit that plays Marines" and then I was like "this one claims to have tons of members on the Arma Units page and it says 'Special Operations," which means less grindy slow-asthmatic-jogging-simulator and more flying around on MH-6 helicopters and shooting terrorists and doing small unit tactics and no arguing over who drives the LAV."

• Haha 1

I play milsim for the fact that up until recently I was told I would never be allowed to join the military due to health complications. Milsim was the closest thing to real life that I could find, I played in all aspects video game, air soft, and even paintball to make me feel like the bad ass operators and heroes I read about and saw on television and evemn follow through my family.

Arma was one of the  games i played Milsim in including Project Reality Battlefield 2, as well as Project Reality in Arma 2. During an event I found out about ACE for Arma and the rest is history.

3D MRB, I wanted to get back into Arma Milsim, so I did some pondering and some investigating and it lead me to @GySgt Specter Youtube channel. I really enjoyed the twists you put on operations and how you guys interacted with each other, plus I have only had good experiences in Marine based milsim units in the past.  

• Upvote 1

I play milsim because it's simply the most effective, and usually the most fun way to play a realistic FPS. I enjoy realistic gameplay in just about everything (RPGs, FPS, Roguelikes), so having a more realistic common mindset is appealing. I don't necessarily like milsim because its closer to the "real thing", I just don't enjoy the screechfest that is non-milsim Arma gameplay.

Arma, because it is the most versatile milsim platform there is. I think some games are more immersive/realistic (namely Squad) but they don't have even half the utility that Arma does. Despite the problems Arma has, there's nothing else like it.

And I chose the 3d because noone else does it better, period. Every other milsim unit I've ever been in either tries too hard and just ends up not being fun, or just doesn't know what they're doing. The 3d has managed to be both effective in game as well as fun and full of friendly people. Basically, we manage to separate in and out of game decorum, which not a lot of units do well, I think.

Edited by HM2 Pulliam

Why milsim?: I enjoy roleplaying and I've always been a military fan. If I didn't have cancer I would have Army ROTC'd through college. I do truly believe that the mindset and intrerpersonal abilities fostered by this unit have already helped me in real life, and I've been surprised by how interested and not "you do what" people have been if I tell them about it.
Why Arma?: Only decent combined arms milsim platform (at least in recent years. Squad has potential especially if they add more scripting options or even AI).
Why 3d MRB? Wanted to get back into Arma in 2016. Asked Koch about 506th, he said there was drama and to wait. 13th was stood up and I joined there. Stuck around for friends I made in the 13th when we transitioned. I still get a kick out of gameplay (for now, lol), and definitely still trust Koch to right this ship when it needs it.

Edited by GySgt Cole
  • Like 1

Why? Like Cole, I always enjoyed roleplay. Cole, Whelan, Jones and I basically have the same background when it comes to roleplay. I just got tired of what I/we used to do, and ArmA (2 at the time, with the 15th) seemed to offer what I wanted. Decently balanced between RP and just raw gameplay.

Why ArmA? Don't know anymore, truthfully. I don't get as much of a kick out of playing the game anymore. I only really launch ArmA for the few ops I attend now. Sorry for being invisible guys.

Why this unit? To tell you the truth, I only really left the 506th to fly the Harrier. No other reason, to be honest. I told people different initially when I joines, because I felt if I told I didn't leave because of Drum it wouldn't be really well received.

Like I mentioned, I don't get too much of a kick out of playing ArmA anymore. I'm not sure how well received this response is going to be given how invisible I am, but I hope people can forgive me for that.

I stick around because of my three pre-unit friends: Cole, Jones, Whelan; who have all helped me through some decisions I haven't exactly enjoyed. That being said, I have made some great friends along the way who I speak to fairly frequently, as well.

For now, even though I may not be seen much on TS or in-game, I very much lurk in the background and keep a watchful eye. I read basically everything posted on the forums, and I make an effort to read every PM sent to me, no matter where they may be in the unit.

I hope that was not too long, am on my phone. Tldr: ArmA is not as fun to me as it used to be, but I have friends who believe in me that make me stick around.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Why do you play (milsim)?  I always wanted to be in the military. But life took me on a different path and never fulfill my dream. So milsim is the opportunity to relive that.

Why Arma? The only game that I know so far have these many options. But I don't play too much now,  a mid 30's guy so I'm not much into the new trends and that stuff.

Why us?  I actually started in the 506th, played with some friends, then the drama got in the middle, left because I felt it was the right thing to do, then the 13th, then here, then IRL drama,  more unit drama, switched to the 75th, more drama, then back to here to share the camaraderie between members . For now, enjoying the new unit role and my new unit job, IRL stuff getting in the middle sometimes, but trying to do the work right.

Edited by GySgt Hito
  • Like 3

I got into MilSim thinking it was a GTA RP Community

ArmA still beats pubstomping on BF4 with Devil Pups

Edited by Sgt Cooper
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Why Milsim? I enjoy killing tactically.

Why Arma? There's no other games similar at the moment.

Why the 3dMRB? I have no idea. I must be a fucking sadist to bring this amount of misery to my life every day.

• Haha 1

I personally played and still do play airsoft milsim IRL. Shortly after getting out of the heat of the GTAV roleplaying community I looked to a friend to get into some milsim.

Arma, because it's the best game ever made of course?

3d MRB because this just so happened to be the unit my friend was in, and afterwards it just stuck with me. Couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

• Like 1

Why do I play? I used to be in a WWII reenactment group for the 506th Fox Company in California and once I moved to Texas I could no longer afford to attend. MilSim scratches that itch for me and it doesn't require me sleeping in a pup tent. 

Why ArmA?

I loved ArmA 2 and the capture the island game mode. Unlike many of you, I never played online before Arma 3 but I loved the gameplay and the potential. I especially loved the Pilgrimage mission made for the Make ArmA not war competition. 

Lately, though, like @Capt Koch, I too have lost my luster for the game as i believe I've pretty much seen all it can offer.

Why us?

I joined the 506th after watching Drum's tutorial videos on YouTube as I was big into mission editing even then. Once the unit cracked, I didn't leave because of what happened but because my friends were all leaving. 

Once in the 13th, I fully endorsed the change to MARSOC and was excited about what that would offer. 

• Like 2

I've always enjoyed shooters, I also enjoy Role Playing Games. This involves both.

Arma because its the best for this kind of stuff. 

506th>13th>3D I stay because I like the people. If I left this place I'd probably have to go back to the 506th. I don't want that. 

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this