NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Hurricane rips through Florida Cemetery; Hundreds reported Dead
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sign in to follow this  
MSgt Falconer

Getting a new PC

My PC is going on 5 years old at this point and I figure its time for an upgrade, but given that when it comes to computers im about as tech savvy as a bag of rocks I figured I should check in here before dumping any significant amount of cash.

Intel Core i7-8700 Processor Socket-LGA1151, 6-Core, 12-Thread, 3.2/4.6GHz, 65W
Gainward GeForce RTX 2080 Triple Fan, PCI-Express 3.0, 8GB GDDR6, 1515/1710MHz
Corsair TX650M, 650W PSU ATX 12V v2-4, 80 PLUS Gold, Semi Modular, 6+2-pin PCIe
ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151 Mothercard, ATX, B360, DDR4, 2xPCIe-x16, M.2, CFX
HyperX Fury DDR4 2666MHz 16GB 2x8GB 2666MHz DDR4
Kingston A1000 480GB M.2 SSD M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x2, NVMe, 3D TLC, up to 1500/900 MB/s, 300TBW
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5'' HDD SATA 6.0Gb/s, 7200RPM, 64MB cache, 3.5''

Judging by the pricetag this should be good, but as I said "Bag of rocks". Opinions from people who actually know what any of the above means is appreciated.

Unless you already have a LGA1151 compatible CPU cooler you will have to get one of those. If you want to get in to the whole RTX Raytracing hype then get the 2080, if not I recommend going with a 1080 (or 1080 TI) instead and save yourself a bit of money. Also noticed your M.2 is a B+M version, I recommend a M version (faster) this is a good substitute its cheaper and has more capacity: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167460&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

25 minutes ago, CW4 Carrera said:

Unless you already have a LGA1151 compatible CPU cooler you will have to get one of those. If you want to get in to the whole RTX Raytracing hype then get the 2080, if not I recommend going with a 1080 (or 1080 TI) instead and save yourself a bit of money. Also noticed your M.2 is a B+M version, I recommend a M version (faster) this is a good substitute its cheaper and has more capacity: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167460&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

The CPU actually ships with extra dedicated CPU cooling as part of the "package" so that should not be an issue. As for " RTX Raytracing hype" reffer to my earlier statement of "Bag of rocks". Will look into the M.2

10 minutes ago, SSgt Falconer said:

The CPU actually ships with extra dedicated CPU cooling as part of the "package" so that should not be an issue

If you're referring to the stock cooler Intel ships with its CPUs, those aren't worth the money it costs to build them. You want a third party, dedicated cooler.

17 minutes ago, Maj Ray said:

If you're referring to the stock cooler Intel ships with its CPUs, those aren't worth the money it costs to build them. You want a third party, dedicated cooler.

Stock cooler plus this impressive array of numbers and letters: CM Hyper H411R LGA115X, 92mm

I would always say if money isnt a big concern, getting higher clocked ram would only be a benefit. I would also wager that the 8700k might just have more value for the 30-40 extra dollars (even if you will not be overclocking). 

12 minutes ago, Capt Jones said:

I would always say if money isnt a big concern, getting higher clocked ram would only be a benefit. I would also wager that the 8700k might just have more value for the 30-40 extra dollars (even if you will not be overclocking). 

The same amount of RAM is available in 3200MHz for a miniscule rise in price, worth it? Sadly most electronic shops around here have removed the 8700k from stock for reasons unknown to science.

22 minutes ago, SSgt Falconer said:

3200MHz for a miniscule rise in price, worth it?

yes, you will have to set it up to run at that speed in the bios but im sure someone here would be able to walk you through it if you cant figure it out on your own.

1 hour ago, SSgt Falconer said:

Stock cooler plus this impressive array of numbers and letters: CM Hyper H411R LGA115X, 92mm

That's pretty dinky, especially for that particular CPU. It's useless, and they're using the bundle deal to dump inventory. Ignore it or recycle it.

I recommend you do these things:

1. Upgrade from an 8700 to an 8700K. K-series CPUs allow you to overclock.
  2. Upgrade the CPU cooler. Get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo if you're on a budget, or a Dark Rock Pro 3 if you're not.
  3. List your motherboard so we know what you're installing the CPU in.
  4. Upgrade your RAM speed, as Jones said. Go for 3000 MHz at minimum.

5 minutes ago, Maj Ray said:

That's pretty dinky, especially for that particular CPU. It's useless, and they're using the bundle deal to dump inventory. Ignore it or recycle it.

I recommend you do these things:

1. Upgrade from an 8700 to an 8700K. K-series CPUs allow you to overclock.
  2. Upgrade the CPU cooler. Get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo if you're on a budget, or a Dark Rock Pro 3 if you're not.
  3. List your motherboard so we know what you're installing the CPU in.
  4. Upgrade your RAM speed, as Jones said. Go for 3000 MHz at minimum.

1. The 8700 says it can go between 3.2 and 4.6 GHz
2. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is listed as "incompatible"

3. Motherboard is listed as this imposing array of Star Trek techobabble: ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151, ATX, B360, DDR4, 2xPCIe-x16, M.2
4. The Ram upgrade is no issue, its a veeeeeery small increase in price nearly insignificant in context.

4 minutes ago, SSgt Falconer said:

1. The 8700 says it can go between 3.2 and 4.6 GHz
2. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is listed as "incompatible"

3. Motherboard is listed as this imposing array of Star Trek techobabble: ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151, ATX, B360, DDR4, 2xPCIe-x16, M.2
4. The Ram upgrade is no issue, its a veeeeeery small increase in price nearly insignificant in context.

CPUs dynamically upclock and downclock within certain limitations, depending on load. That is not the same as overclocking, which refers to setting clock speeds beyond those manufacturer's limits.

Then you're going with the Dark Rock Pro 3. If you have room in your case.

Make sure that the motherboard supports K series CPUs.

Just Do It /Nike /Shia.

5 minutes ago, Maj Ray said:

CPUs dynamically upclock and downclock within certain limitations, depending on load. That is not the same as overclocking, which refers to setting clock speeds beyond those manufacturer's limits.

Then you're going with the Dark Rock Pro 3. If you have room in your case.

Make sure that the motherboard supports K series CPUs.

Just Do It /Nike /Shia.

Compatibility wont be an issue, the store im ordering from automatically sorts compatible parts and dont allow you to order incompatible ones. Sadly no 8700ks available, next step is a 9700k. A bit steeper in price but still fiiancially managable. Worth?

23 minutes ago, SSgt Falconer said:

Compatibility wont be an issue, the store im ordering from automatically sorts compatible parts and dont allow you to order incompatible ones. Sadly no 8700ks available, next step is a 9700k. A bit steeper in price but still fiiancially managable. Worth?

You need to judge that for yourself.

If you do go with a K series make sure you get a motherboard that will allow you to overclock, which will add additional cost to your build. Most of this video may sound like rocket science mumbo jumbo, but is a good resource. Starting at the 1:40 mark is the info you will need.

All hail lord Linus

That minuscule price increase would absolutely be worth it. And the 8700k starts at a much higher base clock (iirc 4.7) so I would still argue the increase in price is still worth it. Suppose you could always order it elsewhere, though, if necessary. But the 9th gen is just slightly better. Probably not worth the extra hundred or whatever it is. 

Edited by Capt Jones

1 hour ago, CW4 Carrera said:

If you do go with a K series make sure you get a motherboard that will allow you to overclock, which will add additional cost to your build. Most of this video may sound like rocket science mumbo jumbo, but is a good resource. Starting at the 1:40 mark is the info you will need.

All hail lord Linus

What I got from this was "B or X to overclock.

"ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151 Mothercard" has  B in it, soooo I should be good, right?`(Yes I am really this hopeless with computer parts)

40 minutes ago, SSgt Falconer said:

B or 

What I got from this was "B or X to overclock.

"ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151 Mothercard" has  B in it, soooo I should be good, right?`(Yes I am really this hopeless with computer parts)

I don't think B360 can support overclocking. I think that might just be Z370, but I may be wrong. 

@CW4 Carrera might know more than I off the top of my head.

Sorry got my time stamp wrong it is like 10 seconds later you will need a Z or X series to overclock.

6 minutes ago, CW4 Carrera said:

Sorry got my time stamp wrong it is like 10 seconds later you will need a Z or X series to overclock.

Well A Z390 Intel chipset is available for not a lot of money, that should do then?

6 minutes ago, SSgt Falconer said:

Well A Z390 Intel chipset is available for not a lot of money, that should do then? 

Yea

4 minutes ago, CW4 Carrera said:

Yea

Then I only have one more question. Since I cant get my hands on an i7 8700k 6-Core, 12-Thread. Is a i7 9700K  8-Core, 8-Thread going to be better despite the lower threadcount?

@Maj RayWell, I Nike´d/Shia´d it.

Hopefully it wont blow up in my face when I hit the "on" button. Thanks for the help guys, if I get a processor chunk lodged in my forehead im comming for ya.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this