NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Ethnic clashes in Sri Lanka escalate
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sign in to follow this  
MAJ Carrera

FVL/FARA Program

The United States Army is looking to replace its Blackhawk, Chinook, Kiowa and Apache helicopters through the Future Vertical Lift (FVL) Program that started in 2009. Replacement of the air frames are expected to start around 2030. There are 4 contenders in this program, 2 Co-axial helicopters and 2 Tilt-rotor aircraft. I have compiled a spreadsheet of the projected stats of the air frames. I would like to keep this up to date as more info comes out as long as there is interest for it, feel free to discuss below. Looks like the future of helicopters is in one of the two dual rotor designs lets see which it is...

Lockheed Martin/Boeing

Sikorsky-Boeing_SB-1_Defiant.jpegmaxresdefault.jpg

The SB-1 Defiance and its little brother the S-97 Raider

Bell

Bell-V-280-Valor.jpg

The V-280 Valor

8 hours ago, 2ndLt Pepperman said:

Why do they all look gross and icky. Don't take way my blackhawk damnit! :(

Icky?

No wonder you're afraid of birds ;).

Edited by SSgt Derr

10 hours ago, LCpl G. Miller said:

Is this the very same one?

yes

good to see someones taking initiative but my money is on the defiance; smaller, holds about the same amount of troops and much faster.

1 hour ago, CW3 Carrera said:

yes

good to see someones taking initiative but my money is on the defiance; smaller, holds about the same amount of troops and much faster.

Plus Sikorsky has a pretty good track record with crazy new airframes

Bell should have had the Osprey safe in the late 90s but they took an extra 10 years

The neat thing about FVL is the 5 development categories:

• JMR-Light: Scout version to replace the OH-58 Kiowa; introduction planned for 2030.
  • JMR-Medium-Light
  • JMR-Medium: Utility and attack versions to replace the UH-60 Black Hawk and AH-64 Apache; introduction planned for 2027–28.
  • JMR-Heavy: Cargo version to replace the CH-47 Chinook; introduction planned for 2035, although Boeing expects 2060.[15]
  • JMR-Ultra: New ultra-sized version for vertical lift aircraft with performance similar to fixed-wing tactical transport aircraft, such as the C-130J Super Hercules and the Airbus A400M Atlas; introduction planned for 2025.

The "JMR-Ultra" is going to be fucking neat, whatever it is

Edited by GySgt Cole

index_04.jpg

Maybe something along the lines of what Karem offered during the Armys now defunct Joint Heavy Lift Program. possibly a way to revive the same idea under a new title. Picture is from Karems website.

Edited by CW3 Carrera

hmmm, not sure if we are quite ready for autonomous aircraft yet. We are still at infancy stages of autonomous cars. Also RIP Warrant Officers if that's the case.

25 minutes ago, CW3 Carrera said:

hmmm, not sure if we are quite ready for autonomous aircraft yet. We are still at infancy stages of autonomous cars. Also RIP Warrant Officers if that's the case.

Not Autonomous.  They would be flown remotely.  

I don't really see the point of the troop transports then if your going to have troops inside anyway then you might as well include a pilot and co pilot.

These designs are all so insane to me, especially compared to how rugged and mean the 60 and 64 look

• Like 1

I really like Sikorsky's designs and want them to win, but they have had so many delays and setbacks during the program while the valor has not. I don't really like the tilt-rotor design you can basically kiss small LZ's goodby, the Valor is almost as wide as a blackhawk is long, rotor tip to tail. The "sleek" look they all have I think is an acceptable price to pay considering the advantages they have over the current ships, 64 payload aside.

Sign in to follow this