NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Hurricane rips through Florida Cemetery; Hundreds reported Dead
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sign in to follow this  
Maj (Ret) Ray

BI fixing 17 year old ArmA bug

I never thought I'd see the day. BI is fixing a bug that has been in this series and engine since Operation Flashpoint: the preservation of geometry on fallen or destroyed objects, like knocked over fences and trees.

Presently, intact geometric objects will provide proper visual and ballistic cover. If you stand behind a wall, bullets won't pass through (unless it's a flimsy wall, of course), and the AI cannot see you. But if the wall is knocked over, it loses all geometric properties: bullets pass through it, the AI sees through it, and it's no better than a bush. If you lay down behind a knocked over wall or tree, it's just like laying down in the middle a field. You're defenseless and exposed.

But now... BI is fixing it.

This fix was uploaded to the most recent development build. (Yes, ArmA 3 development is still ongoing.) You can see here that the AI is unaware of a player laying down behind a fallen wall. After shooting his gun, the AI is aware that there is gunfire in the area, but does not know where it came from. The player has to roll out of cover and engage the AI before the AI knows where to look. This should result in far less frustration with this game, because you can now approach firefights and combat more realistically.

Additionally, you can now rest your weapon on these same fallen objects.

HoqoJ61.jpg

You can also hide from AI in logical ways:

Ht3gp2m.jpg

This fix is planned to ship in ArmA 3 1.83. No release date or ETA. Probably a few weeks to a couple of months.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Just now, Cpl VandeVord said:

Now if they could fix bushes I'd be soooooo happy.

It's claimed that AI cannot see players through bushes unless players give away their position somehow (like firing a gun, allowing for audio location). I'm not sure I buy that. I know that AI do not see grass, but laying prone does reduce their ability to detect you.

I think the bush issue is always going to be controversial.

Just now, Maj Ray said:

It's claimed that AI cannot see players through bushes unless players give away their position somehow (like firing a gun, allowing for audio location). I'm not sure I buy that. I know that AI do not see grass, but laying prone does reduce their ability to detect you.

Yeah it's bullshit they think bushes work. I was sitting in a large bush in the dead of night and hadn't moved or made a noise in over 10 minutes and I got shot at by an AI 200 meters behind me. I used Zeus to check out the incident and there's no way the AI could have seen me on the other side of the bush unless it detected 1 pixel through the leafs.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:29 AM, Sgt Braathen said:

where is my prone AT launcher firing position

6746912e3f2351fdd45c4cbc5259a407.jpg

ps: is about time though!!!!!

Is that guy throwing smoke, or a flat can of beer (in a coozie) away?

On 5/29/2018 at 9:30 AM, Maj Ray said:

Speaking from extensive S-2 experience, the AI are mostly deaf, blind and stupid. People getting shot in bushes are probably either unlucky or were clearly visible.

Sign in to follow this