NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Hurricane rips through Florida Cemetery; Hundreds reported Dead
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sgt (Ret) Heikinheimo

Arma 3 - IDPA / 3-gun style Shooting competition ?

So, as there as there are many shooting enthusiasts like myself in the unit, i figured i'd ask: Is there any interest in doing a friendly timed shooting competition style event for fun in arma 3? I think this could be a fun way to get together and have a bit of fun as well as improve in the shooting department for the functional side of things.

Right now im thinking this could be done using our own billet related load outs, or one standardized load out, with 2 guns and standard amount of ammo. Each stage would be timed and hits counted either by falling targets or targets that display scored hits on target. Scoring would be based on time with time added for each missed shot or some similar method.

I understand that shooting in arma is extremely easy and it would not be nearly as challenging as real life. I think however that i would be able to make these courses challenging enough to a point where its not just a quick walk through a pipeline and clicking on easy targets.

If you have interest in partaking in such an event, please leave a comment & an up vote for this post and i'll know if there is interest. If we get reasonable interest in this, I'll put together like a 4-5 stage competition for a test event and we will see where it goes from there. Also feel free to suggest any rule sets or drills / stage set ups you find would be interesting to shoot or any other thing you think would be cool for this.

I'll start working on the stages and make a separate post of the event in the game room if / when we get the attendance confirmed for this.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HM2 Heikinheimo said:

If i lived in US i'd be down to organize that. I can organize one here in Finland if you're willing to travel :D

dem plane tickets esspensive mane

but what we could do is organize some sort of short course of fire / drill everyone does, the individual videos it all in one cut, and whoever has the fastest time with the most hits or whatever wins

what do they win? i have no clue.

I'd personally rather do the competition with everyone present. Though it does create a challenge in the scoring system to do it live but it does make it fair for everyone it terms of how many attempts everyone gets at the course of fire instead of just sending us the recording of the fastest possible go one can achieve. Its less of a hassle to do for just having a bit of fun as well not having to upload huge video files and i think it would be still better as a community bonding function at the same time if we have everyone present and cheering each other on and creating that friendly competition environment :)

But yeah, if everyone is willing to pitch in, i don't see why we couldn't give out some sort of a prize for the winner. Maybe a steam gift card? or something similar.

7 minutes ago, HM2 Heikinheimo said:

I'd personally rather do the competition with everyone present. Though it does create a challenge in the scoring system to do it live but it does make it fair for everyone it terms of how many attempts everyone gets at the course of fire instead of just sending us the recording of the fastest possible go one can achieve. Its less of a hassle to do for just having a bit of fun as well not having to upload huge video files and i think it would be still better as a community bonding function at the same time if we have everyone present and cheering each other on and creating that friendly competition environment :)

But yeah, if everyone is willing to pitch in, i don't see why we couldn't give out some sort of a prize for the winner. Maybe a steam gift card? or something similar.

oh yeah definitely man, if it's on arma then it can just be done together as a group. the thing i was talking about was doing something irl. going to a range / private land / wherever someone shoots, doing an established course of fire that everyone can agree on with either a semi rifle or handgun depending on who has what available, everyone takes a single cut video of their shooting, and the targets are scored. see what I mean?