NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Hurricane rips through Florida Cemetery; Hundreds reported Dead
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sign in to follow this  
MAJ Carrera

Arma 3 Third-Party DLC Pitch

Looks like a subtle admission that ArmA 4 is in development. And it seems like a good idea; we get new content, mod developers get some money, and BI keeps ArmA 3 going while ArmA 4 gets worked on.

This should be interesting.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Capt Ray said:

Looks like a subtle admission that ArmA 4 is in development.

>Implying Bohemia's entire dev team isn't working on Take On Helicopters 2

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, 2ndLt(T) Pepperman said:

Correct me if I'm wrong; but are they just trying to monetize mods like Skyrim did? Like we have to pay money to get CUP now?

The first bullet point of the linked post literally says the exact opposite

• We'll be looking to select and publish new projects, but also existing projects that would be able to scale up in quality/quantity as a result of being published as a premium DLC. However, we'll always insist that any existing free Arma 3 addons and mods remain free. In other words, third-party DLC we publish should never replace something which was previously free.

No not necessarily, that's what i thought at first as well but no its going to be completely new content:

• We'll be looking to select and publish new projects, but also existing projects that would be able to scale up in quality/quantity as a result of being published as a premium DLC. However, we'll always insist that any existing free Arma 3 addons and mods remain free. In other words, third-party DLC we publish should never replace something which was previously free.

but it does raise the question, will 3p devs continue to work on the free content...?

Just now, GySgt Cole said:

The first bullet point of the linked post literally says the exact opposite

• We'll be looking to select and publish new projects, but also existing projects that would be able to scale up in quality/quantity as a result of being published as a premium DLC. However, we'll always insist that any existing free Arma 3 addons and mods remain free. In other words, third-party DLC we publish should never replace something which was previously free.

So... They are just making mods 'official' by just making them DLC?

1 minute ago, 2ndLt(T) Pepperman said:

So... They are just making mods 'official' by just making them DLC?

No. Existing mods are not being covered by this. BI is basically going to pay mod makers to make NEW CONTENT that will be offered as paid DLC in 2018 and beyond.

They are not putting existing mods behind a paywall.

Edited by Capt Ray

Just now, Capt Ray said:

No. Existing mods are not being covered by this. BI is basically going to pay mod makers to make NEW CONTENT that will be offered as paid DLC in 2018 and beyond.

tl;dr BI is paying mod makers to make new, original work. They are not putting existing mods behind a paywall.

Ah. Okay. I thought they were trying to get all of the mods out today pushed to DLC. This makes more sense, thank you.

Don't see why it's already an issue since they already did this with the Jets DLC. But you do you Bohemia.

i also cant see any "game changing" DLC to be covered by this ACE ect. most likely will be asset additions.

Edited by CW2 Carrera

1 minute ago, 2ndLt(T) Pepperman said:

Ah. Okay. I thought they were trying to get all of the mods out today pushed to DLC. This makes more sense, thank you.

Don't see why it's already an issue since they already did this with the Jets DLC. But you do you Bohemia.

They explain this in the post as well. The difference between this new program and the Jets DLC is that the Jets DLC content was still managed and directed by BI employees. This new program is basically mod makers being paid to do the entire thing, and to deliver content by a certain release date.

Just now, CW2 Carrera said:

i also cant see any "game changing" DLC to be covered by this ACE ect. most likely will be asset additions.

Correct. Existing mods do not become paid mods under this program.

probably only a few third-party premium DLC packs will get published each year

With this I'm fairly satisfied with their approach. It means, unlike steam workshop's old crap for paid mods that died, every single person that makes mods won't try to make every single mod paid - it will be a small, limited subset. And hopefully higher quality.

The only sad thing is that they cant really touch or modify core systems, which is where a lot of cool things could be done. But if we actually get some Arma 4 news out of this that'd be nice.

Sign in to follow this