NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Hurricane rips through Florida Cemetery; Hundreds reported Dead
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sign in to follow this  
GySgt Cole

Use of "Top Level Channels"

Hey all,

I've been thinking lately that we as a community should strive to utilize top level channels like the Game Rooms, Enlisted Club and Officer's Club when we'd normally just chill in a semi-private channel. In my time as S-5 SNCOIC, I noticed a lot of other communities doing this and it seemed to be a healthy thing.

It provides three things:
1. Helps new recruits feel less intimidated about getting involved with the community. When I was a boot I definitely wouldn't have randomly joined some MSgt's channel, but if a MSgt was sitting in the E Club with others I wouldn't have fretted over it.

2. Expands your horizons and helps keep inter-team/inter-section cliqueness down by bringing people together.

3. Helps make us looking populated, social and overall healthy as a unit to potential recruits.

I'm sure if they start getting a ton of use, Battalion might entertain the idea of dedicated game channels (a Siege channel for instance) or more "chill rooms". I'm not ordering anything, but I'm going to be making a personal effort on my part to get more involved with the wider unit and utilize these channels, and I hope some of you join me.

S/F,

MSgt Cole

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Definitely agreed. I do feel like there's always been two groups most people (including myself) associate with: their team/element members, and whatever "clique" (for lack of a better term) they get along with. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it'd be nice to see more general unit interaction.

Something I saw a lot more of in early 2017 or so was people utilizing global chat for stuff like this. For example, just throwing up a "Playing R6:Siege in so-and-so's channel, come join and play". I know the forums are often used for this, but I feel like a brand new boot might be a little intimidated about getting involved on the forums. I know I was at first. Something to keep in mind I guess.

Definitely a thing. I've been around for a long time, but I still hesitate to join in random people's channels. I would love to see the E-Club an other such channels get more use!  

Edited by Cpl Van Dyke

me, walking into the e-club prepared to be the living shit post that i am

tenor.gif?itemid=4550340

But yeah, really helps people feel more centralized. Instead of playing wargame in Cole's channel and RSS in Specters, maybe have designated 'RSS' and 'WRD' game rooms at the top of the ts.

You mean I won't come home to 15 people in my fucking channel when I haven't even been home for 8 hours? Sweet.

Srsly stay out of my channel

*Gunny stare intensifies*

• Haha 1

The important part is to be reasonable with this as well, if you come into a game room 1 with 5 guys playing R6S and you say in global "playing war game in game room 1" and start having two games in the same room then you've gone wrong. This is a common problem even in office channels. I'm all for this but there needs to be a matter of respect given too.

7 minutes ago, 1st Lt Pepperman said:

Like I said, instead of just 'game room 1' 'game room 2' just put 'Wargame Red Dragon' and 'Rainbow Six: Seige' channels, so people know WHAT you're playing without having to join/ask.

this isn't happening, we'll keep generic game rooms. They can join and ask what they're playing, then leave them be if they don't have room

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this