NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Ethnic clashes in Sri Lanka escalate
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sign in to follow this  
Zietara

Help with FOB(s)

I need help with a map I am currently working on for the next mod pack cycle, in particular the FOB and COP(s). I've tried to make it semi-realistic from references in biographies, maps, and some fictional examples, but I would really like both criticism and suggestions especially from first-hand knowledge in order to make it more immersive.

The 'main' FOB on this map will be situated on a hill overwatching a valley, with a village situated on the valley across. Due to building constraints (and to add a bit of 'difficulty' to the area) the LZ for the FOB (which is quite remote) is situated on a hill along the ridgeline of the valley. Overlooking that LZ is a COP (if it even is one, I'm not sure if it would be considered part of the 'main' FOB) in order to provide security.

Here are some (shitty) screenshots: https://imgur.com/gallery/6Tt5dOI

• Like 1

I don't really know if thats a FOB, seems like more of a COP due to its size and lack of infrastructure. The smaller piece seems like more of an OP/DP. Try looking at pictures of actual FOBs in Afghanistan like FOB Todd and Camp Leatherneck.

12 hours ago, LCpl Zietara said:

a map I am currently working on for the next mod pack cycle

I'm… confused.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Maj Ray said:

I'm… confused.

Sorry Major, I meant that this would be one of my suggestions once submissions open from S-4 (like with Tembelan, PKL, etc. this mod pack release) for new maps/templates.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, LCpl Zietara said:

Sorry Major, I meant that this would be one of my suggestions once submissions open from S-4 (like with Tembelan, PKL, etc. this mod pack release) for new maps/templates.

There is no submission period. You can always send requests for additions, changes, etc up your COC. Or am I misreading…?

Either way, the base looks pretty well designed so far to me. I would recommend keeping walkways clear, but the ambient design looks solid. What map is that?

Edited by Maj Ray

2 hours ago, Sgt DelPercio said:

I don't really know if thats a FOB, seems like more of a COP due to its size and lack of infrastructure. The smaller piece seems like more of an OP/DP. Try looking at pictures of actual FOBs in Afghanistan like FOB Todd and Camp Leatherneck.

I have was going to suggest that being more a camp. FOB’s should be large enough to support a lot of personnel and task forces operating out of it.

@Maj Ray It's one of the G.O.S. Maps, Dariyah. Really cool because it has a very remote feeling (badland foothills surrounded by dunes with *no* roads and remote villages) while retaining a viable option for what we do in Arma (has three airfields, easy to run [yet large], etc.).

Also @SSgt Carter and @Sgt DelPercio, thanks for the input. I renamed the "FOB" shown to COP "Invader", with OP "Havoc" overwatching the LZ. Also, I added a new COP farther south (COP "Apache") that is slightly smaller, pics to come.

The main FOB will be relocated to an airfield about 8 kilometers west of COP "Invader".

Edited by LCpl Zietara

4 hours ago, LTC Brueske said:

@1stLt Golembesky? Any suggestions?

This is more of a COP, usually on high ground for defensible purposes. Photo attached is a FOB, positioned more like a temporary base. Also is a much higher object count.

AE7qWDL.jpg

14 hours ago, LCpl Zietara said:

I need help with a map I am currently working on for the next mod pack cycle, in particular the FOB and COP(s). I've tried to make it semi-realistic from references in biographies, maps, and some fictional examples, but I would really like both criticism and suggestions especially from first-hand knowledge in order to make it more immersive.

The 'main' FOB on this map will be situated on a hill overwatching a valley, with a village situated on the valley across. Due to building constraints (and to add a bit of 'difficulty' to the area) the LZ for the FOB (which is quite remote) is situated on a hill along the ridgeline of the valley. Overlooking that LZ is a COP (if it even is one, I'm not sure if it would be considered part of the 'main' FOB) in order to provide security.

Here are some (shitty) screenshots: https://imgur.com/gallery/6Tt5dOI

LCpl, I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle on the authenticity of the build, focus more of the functionality of it. I would search through all of the great templates listed on armaholic for ideas and starting foundation > http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma3_files_editing_templates

• Like 1

@1stLt Golembesky I usually like to start with a some form of basis on a real location (or by taking elements from real locations and combining), Lt. If I start from the functionality aspect, my OCD kicks in and I make a castle that, while functional, is entirely impractical for the map/scenario and cheesy as hell. Plus the immersion adds clutter and a small amount of "character", Lt. Thank you for the tip though, and the picture will help with building the main FOB, sir.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, LCpl Zietara said:

@1stLt Golembesky I usually like to start with a some form of basis on a real location (or by taking elements from real locations and combining), Lt. If I start from the functionality aspect, my OCD kicks in and I make a castle that, while functional, is entirely impractical for the map/scenario and cheesy as hell. Plus the immersion adds clutter and a small amount of "character", Lt. Thank you for the tip though, and the picture will help with building the main FOB, sir.

Do be consumed with created a 'real' FOB, think about what the players are actually doing there and build around that. Everything else is cosmetic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 1stLt Golembesky said:

This is more of a COP, usually on high ground for defensible purposes. Photo attached is a FOB, positioned more like a temporary base. Also is a much higher object count.

AE7qWDL.jpg

Hey I've read about that FOB somewhere in a book.

• Upvote 1

I think this is cool as shit and it looks great. Would love to see MSOTs actually stationed and using these instead of being sat at blank, vanilla looking FOBS. Good job Zeitara. Another thing I'd do is just mimic/try to replicate real life ones as in terms of shape and facilities that are in the camps.

Edited by Capt Jennings
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capt Jennings said:

I think this is cool as shit and it looks great. Would love to see MSOTs actually stationed and using these instead of being sat at blank, vanilla looking FOBS. Good job Zeitara. Another thing I'd do is just mimic/try to replicate real life ones as in terms of shape and facilities that are in the camps.

I think the most efficient way would be to create a standard FOB template to be used on any map. Convert it into an ACRES module so we can easily place our 'standard ' FOB in any location. Maybe open up a contest for its creation. Just a suggestion. I hate seeing us have to do the same work over an over again.

Just now, 1stLt Golembesky said:

I think the most efficient way would be to create a standard FOB template to be used on any map. Convert it into an ACRES module so we can easily place our 'standard ' FOB in any location. Maybe open up a contest for its creation. Just a suggestion. I hate seeing us have to do the same work over an over again.

Standardization is cool, but it is a different feeling when you load into an environment that looks like an actual, lived in FOB opposed to a generic one. Not to mention with a functional and good looking FOB/COP, you can actually make missions around it. (Eg, TForce spawns in not knowing what the operation is actually going to be, and just create a developing situation - results in the FOB/COP being used realistically, providing immersion due to the fact that it looks immersive and the factor of unknown threats puts the players on an edge)

Sort of how we did it this operation cycle. FOBs and COPs actually feel like FOBs and COPs, instead of a default 'you are safe in this vanilla looking staging area' type of base.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1stLt Golembesky said:

I agree, but for some situations due to the terrain the standard template might not fit, and not all maps have a nice flat surface to work on. I personally don't mind the work, but that would help guys who want to get into making missions who can grab and edit it.

7 minutes ago, LCpl Zietara said:

Made progress on the airstrip. Pretty sure that it isn't a 'FOB' technically because it has a runway and tower.

https://imgur.com/gallery/q6lk6lu

I'll be honest, I went half mast while looking at that

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, LCpl Zietara said:

Made progress on the airstrip. Pretty sure that it isn't a 'FOB' technically because it has a runway and tower.

https://imgur.com/gallery/q6lk6lu

It had -4 points on imgur, I felt bad and gave it a thumbs up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GySgt Specter said:

It had -4 points on imgur, I felt bad and gave it a thumbs up.

Who the fuck even uses the social function on imgur, it's a glorified image host for reddit

Anyways Zietara these look super dope! Keep up the good work.

Sign in to follow this