NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Hurricane rips through Florida Cemetery; Hundreds reported Dead
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
GySgt Cole

Faceshields

Just an immersion thing I noticed during the ops this weekend that I wanted to bring up in a totally non-ranty, unofficial way
First of all, I love the faceshields, I've wanted them for a while, they're super cool and reduce the drag on your face so you can be higher speed :^)

However, one thing did irk me. Imagine you're so poor Takistani whose most impressive show of military force they've seen is maybe a helicopter or a bunch of trucks.
Then the 3d shows up from the goddamn future with their airframes and their guns look like they're from Star Wars, and on top of that, these space men from America have complete facial coverings and goggles and what not. 

TL;DR Just remember that if you're interacting with friendly civilians or friendly factions you should probably remove a face shield or bulky goggles/glasses so they can see your face and feel less intimidated. 

Edited by Cpl Cole

1 hour ago, LCpl McKnight said:

besides, only airsofters wear shemaghs / face shields (especially in a hot ass desert)

chrome also wanted to autocorrect "shemagh" to "shemale".

Not necessarily true, they do really help a lot once the sweat starts piling up. I often sport one on the range here in Texas when it's 95+ degrees. At least when it's not stupidly humid, then it just makes it worse. As for if our operators really wear them, I can't say, but they do serve a purpose.

On the original post, agreed, it's a nice touch to interact with civilians like actual humans...

Edited by HM3 Pulliam

I think a tube/facecover is one of the most useful fucking pieces of kit there is. Absolute life saver when marching in the winter cos you have to have lighter clothes on upper body so you dont die of heat stroke as youre going, you usually dont have a good high collar though and for that situation the tube is the fucking top shit. In cold weather, just make sure its not a tight knit fabric but that it breathes. Thight knit fabrics gather all the moisture from your breath to freeze on it and thats not nice or sanitary over a long period. During dusty situations its also a fucking must to keep you from inhaling and swallowing an asston of sand. Its also a great idea if youre in a vehicle with no windshield or pulling security up on a turret. Getting those bugs hit you in the face at 80 kph hurts alot more than one might think if you dont have a mask. I rocked the face mask pretty much every exercise i was on during my service for the above reasons and can recommend it. Personally like the german army cotton tube the best but really any breathing wool or cotton or similar works.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, LCpl McKnight said:

besides, only airsofters wear shemaghs / face shields (especially in a hot ass desert)

chrome also wanted to autocorrect "shemagh" to "shemale".

Actually the airsofters got the idea from real life operators, as well as all the gear they carry

16 hours ago, LCpl McKnight said:

That's not even remotely true.

First and foremost, the shemagh originates from a "hot ass desert". They're a traditional headdress worn by various cultures in the Middle East and are used primarily for protection from the sun and the sand/dust. 

Secondly, here's a photo of the Navy SEALs prior to Operation Red Wings (where most of those in this picture were killed, may they rest in peace). You can see Navy SEALs Marcus Luttrell, third from right, and Eric S. Patton (KIA), second from right, wearing scarfs in Afghanistan.

hsseal8.jpg

More relevant to us, here is a MARSOC CSO wearing a shemagh while deployed (country not specificied, but looks like Afghanistan).

Marine Raider (MARSOC) training in pictures

Edited by HM2 (FMF) Truscott
  • Upvote 1

I didn't even realize we had faceshields. But yeah, makes sense to take it off when talking with people. I do that in real life too in the winter unless its a blizzard outside or whatnot.

On 27.3.2017 at 8:16 PM, Cpl Cole said:

Just an immersion thing

4 hours ago, Sgt Boardman said:

Seriously does every single thread HAVE to be derailed?

Seeing that everyone that posted in between the two quotes is staying more or less within the parameters of the first statement made in the thread, i'd say there is no derailment detectable here. Though, if you do not like the conversation being had, i suggest you just do not partake and save yourself the frustration and the trouble. :)

If you do have personal experience of the gear in question and/or some of the issues related to wearing that stuff, i'm sure everyone would like to hear your input.

Edited by HM2 Heikinheimo

9 minutes ago, HM2 Heikinheimo said:

Seeing that everyone that posted in between the two quotes is staying more or less within the parameters of the first statement made in the thread, i'd say there is no derailment detectable here. Though, if you do not like the conversation being had, i suggest you just do not partake and save yourself the frustration and the trouble. :)

If you do have personal experience of the gear in question and/or some of the issues related to wearing that stuff, i'm sure everyone would like to hear your input.

Wow, way to be a passive-aggressive asshole. 10 points. 

• Upvote 3