NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Hurricane rips through Florida Cemetery; Hundreds reported Dead
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Koch

Hobbies

For the lighter side of my career thread: what kind of hobbies do you guys have, besides playing milsim?

I've been looking into starting with airsoft, seems fun. Already I play with audio equipment a lot, I don't know much yet, but it's fun to play around with the hardware. It's what has led me to use the audio stuff I use now! I don't consider myself an audiophile by any means, but I do enjoy good sound. Don't use FLAC, though.

I was looking into getting the PPL-A too for day flights, can't get night since I'm colorblind. Might not even get authorised for days, but oh well..

Any other hobbies here?

Due to my job and family connections I have access to a lot of dirt/millings and a lot of land. I bulldoze makeshift motocross race tracks and fuck about in my spare time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cpl Seixeiro said:

Due to my job and family connections I have access to a lot of dirt/millings and a lot of land. I bulldoze makeshift motocross race tracks and fuck about in my spare time.

That's actually fairly cool, I've been wanting to do motorcross, but never had the motivation to!

Ah, I remember seeing a video from a show you guys played on a while ago! Cool to see you're still doing it!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Capt Marsden said:

I play drums in drum corps.

I'm in the middle. ^

Hey, nice! I have several friends who have gone on to perform in DCI. Mandarins and Blue Devils are where they went off to.

• Like 2

I have dabbled in many things over the years...

I got into painting Games Workshop models when I was a wee lad. I used to play airsoft which later evolved into paintball.  

My biggest hobby, though, is probably music. I have played guitar for 16 years or so on and off and have  Just recently got back into it. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Sgt (Ret) Grimm said:

I have dabbled in many things over the years...

I got into painting Games Workshop models when I was a wee lad. I used to play airsoft which later evolved into paintball.  

My biggest hobby, though, is probably music. I have played guitar for 16 years or so on and off and have  Just recently got back into it. 

And you're really good at that whole music thing.

• Like 1

Shooting, tending to my muscle children, shows, movies and bike riding whenever I buy a bike. Just got a motorcycle qualification and all I need to do is actually take the test for the license.

• Like 2

I like to shoot a lot, watch movies ( a lot of movies), read a bunch. I even occasionally play sports and coach said sports.

• Like 1

Non-Computer Hobbies:

I love reading. I consume all sorts of books to the point that I have a backlog of books to read on my nightstand whenever I slow down

I've recently really started getting into cooking and "mixology" (alcohol). I've always enjoyed cooking and food but I've been doing Blue Apron to really force myself to cook and I love it. Highly recommend the service, if anyone wants a free trial hit me up.

I grew up shooting, but haven't really been able to spend much time on the range the past few years. Hopefully I'll have my rifle and CCW license soon so I can get back to it. On a similar note, now that I'm getting back into shape I want to pick up airsoft again.

Edited by Sgt Cole
  • Like 1

Shooting. International Defensive Pistol Association and informal courses of fire with the rifle. I've lost a lot of free time instructing and taking college courses. 

• Like 1

Love shooting and driving/traveling around places.

My biggest hobby though is tricking and/or freerunning. AKA throwing my body upside-down and around in ways physics shouldn't allow.

Exhibit A:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1stLt Hart said:

My biggest hobby though is tricking and/or freerunning. AKA throwing my body upside-down and around in ways physics shouldn't allow.

Exhibit A:

What a video

11 hours ago, 1stLt Hart said:

Exhibit A:

8/10 sloppy landing.

As for me, I play badminton and some truly nerdy pen&paper RPGs

and when time and weather allow I enjoy trackdays.

Edited by GySgt Falconer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, 1stLt Hart said:

Exhibit A:

-snip-

I'm sorry Hart, but you don't have anything on these guys

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dabble in programming but I suck at making things that *work.* So I can essentially make lots of gibberish.

Shooting guns is a hobby too. Two Ar-15s, three Aks, a couple of mosins, and I am actually unsure of how many pistols I own right at this moment. I buy and trade them all the time so... I dunno. I'd have to count them. My favorite is my Zavasta EZ9. Surprisingly accurate and reliable pistol.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LCpl Markin said:

I dabble in programming but I suck at making things that *work.* So I can essentially make lots of gibberish.

Shooting guns is a hobby too. Two Ar-15s, three Aks, a couple of mosins, and I am actually unsure of how many pistols I own right at this moment. I buy and trade them all the time so... I dunno. I'd have to count them. My favorite is my Zavasta EZ9. Surprisingly accurate and reliable pistol.

Programming is fun! What languages?

On 9/23/2017 at 7:10 AM, 1stLt Koch said:

Programming is fun! What languages?

Ruby, mostly, and I can do C in the sense that I made a working calculator once. 

Sign in to follow this