NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Hurricane rips through Florida Cemetery; Hundreds reported Dead
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sign in to follow this  
1stLt (Ret) Livingston

3d MRB Music Thread

Dave Nails, of the 80's glam-metal band, Glittering Cunts (G.C., as their album would designate it, due to the vulgarity), once famously said, 'People who don't dig a sexy groovy hook, are fuckin' squares.' He was pretty famous for his heroin addiction, so it was never too clear whenever he was quoted on something, whether or not he was high at the time. Anyways, I think Dave would agree that if you don't rock to these tasty jams, you're a square. 

So, I've just come in from the outside on a nice crisp spring day. I've been enjoying my newly arrived Brickhouse cigars, some nice scotch, and the latest Mastodon album, Emperor of Sand. So, I thought I would give you my quick review of the album: it's fucking amazing and will leave you needing emotional support. 

Each song is its own contained sound, so you don't get "sound creep" from song-to-song. It's an album to listen to loud, quiet, and following the lyrics; I've only listened to it a few times now, but I'm still finding new sounds, new grooves, hooks, and other subtle things. It's an album that pays off with multiple listens, and I think will be one that is like a good whiskey, with the complexity you come to explore and pick apart. I wouldn't put this so much as a casual listen, but as something you'd want to block time out of your day for. 

There are so many great sounds on this album with Mastodon's unique blending. The vocals on this album are the best they've ever been, and the maturity and talent they've gained over the years really shows. 

If Mastodon is a band you've followed, then you probably already heard the singles they released prior to the album's release. In my opinion, they are the weakest of the album; with the other songs possessing so much more complexity in their song structure, while still retaining brilliant composition.

To help give you an idea of what you can expect with this album, here's one of my favorites.

The lyrics--due to the album's topic--are extremely well thought out, and well written. Still steeped in Mastodon's murky style, but at the same time, very clear what they represent. 

If Data (from Star trek, ya nerds) had only listened to this album, his search for emotions would have only taken one episode. Have an Emotional Support Buddy (ESB) on standby. 

Sign in to follow this