NEWS
  • In Universe Dateline: Febuary 14th 2023
  • Tensions rise in South Africa after no clear winner in Presidential election
  • Bomb in Tehran café kills three IRGC members, separatists suspected
  • Dominican Republic government on verge of collapse as gang violence escalates in Santa Domingo
  • Russia claims successful test of nuclear-powered cruise missile, experts remain skeptical
  • Man claims he was acting under Taylor Swift's secret orders after being arrested at NATO summit
  • Livonia detains 12 over suspected coup attempt
  • Sahrani troops disperse protest with gunfire, 8 reported dead
  • Hurricane rips through Florida Cemetery; Hundreds reported Dead
  • THESE HEADLINES ARE WORKS OF FICTION INTENDED TO SUPPORT THE STORYLINES OF THE 3d MRB REALISM UNIT
Sign in to follow this  
Maj (Ret) LaPrade

New Marine Infantry Squad structure

Personally I would be concerned about the decreased lack of maneuverability and flexibility a three man fireteam would have. Only three people means that fireteam sized bound and maneuver tactics have to stay in closer and move slower. The squad itself must stay more consolidated and would cover less ground, or at least, would cover it slower. That said, the squad leader would definitely benefit by the two additional personnel effectively making the squad HQ a fourth fireteam. Hopefully the tactics will allow that additional fireteam to maintain the effective reach and dispersion the squad could have and counteract the negative effects of the three man teams.

Also, designated grenadiers I definitely like. 

@Maj Ray I'd be interested to hear Steven's thoughts on this though he did primarily 2 fireteam stuff.

Edited by Capt Hart

4 hours ago, Capt Hart said:

@Maj Ray I'd be interested to hear Steven's thoughts on this though he did primarily 2 fireteam stuff.

He still would. His third fire team would have the larger weapons, like the MAAWS and the M38 DMR. The assistant squad leader would probably be with them, too.

1 hour ago, Maj Ray said:

He still would. His third fire team would have the larger weapons, like the MAAWS and the M38 DMR. The assistant squad leader would probably be with them, too.

But would you not then be losing the advantage of the HQ fireteam? With the ASL attached there then you just have a full strength fireteam that has the big crap on it and still 2 fireteams with just 3 and an HQ with 2.

11 hours ago, Capt Hart said:

But would you not then be losing the advantage of the HQ fireteam? With the ASL attached there then you just have a full strength fireteam that has the big crap on it and still 2 fireteams with just 3 and an HQ with 2.

This is why you'd have to ask Stevens. xD

I'd say the HQ fire team in this scenario performs suppression, and the remaining fire team flanks, sweeps, and clears. Then the mini-weapons team and the clearing team reform on the suppressing team, containing the squad leader, and they re-form and continue movement.

Edited by Maj Ray

Not only does IARs get supressors, EVERYBODY gets an IAR. I wonder what will become of all those M249s laying around.

Just now, Capt Falconer said:

Not only does IARs get supressors, EVERYBODY gets an IAR. I wonder what will become of all those M249s laying around.

Rear line duty, like the M4s that they're replacing with M27s.

Sad. Personally I found the IAR to be a fancy M4 with the 249 still as the main support and suppression weapon system. Ya just can't beat 200 rounds of sustained suppressive fire.

Its about accuracy rather then area suppression. A man can be trained to withstand the effects of suppression, a man can not be trained to withstand the effects of a bullet hole in the head. You will still have 240s and 50s for all your fully automatic suppression needs. 

Edited by Capt Falconer
Typo
  • Upvote 1

In actuality, the Marine Corps is effectively distributing the IAR’s suppressive; fully automatic capability, to the entire small unit level. In doing so, Marines can still provide sustained, suppressive fire with a breeze whilst maintaining a maneuverable posture at all times. 

With this change, tactics at the small unit level are destined to develop. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sign in to follow this